There are few teams that report having too much capacity for the work they are required to do. More frequently fatigued clients report having too much demand, with backlogs, delays and queues. This creates frustration for customers and staff alike. A common response to such situations is too simply think there is too much work, and to tolerate the difficulties.
We believe there are solutions and there are a number of ways in which we can help:
- Measuring demand – categorising types of demand
- Identifying the root causes of what is creating excess demand by examining processes
- Working with staff to develop new ways of working to manage demand such as one piece flow, pull, reduced batching and so on
- Clearly identifying what the true capacity of any process is to ensure the right size and structure for the team
- Supporting staff to implement changes including new metrics
- Embedding changes and enabling staff to self-audit to sustain improvement.