Satisfying customers and other stakeholders – trustees, regulators and commissioners relies on good performance, as well as the ability to evidence levels of achievement.
Leaders and staff sometimes find themselves in a situation where performance truly is not good enough and they do not know what to do to improve it, or they simply cannot prove how well they are performing.
There are a variety of reasons why there are problems in performance and the reporting of it. Key performance indicators and especially imposed by external bodies (or the organisation itself) may be proxy measurements that generate the wrong behaviour or deflect staff from truly value-adding activity. Leaders may struggle to prioritise and staff may struggle to understand current performance. Measuring the wrong things, setting unhelpful targets and overly complex reporting actually make performance improvement harder. We can help you improve performance by:
- Articulating the team (department, organisation) purpose
- Identifying useful yet merciless measurement that will tell us is we are delivering on that purpose
- Managing external reporting proportionately
- Focussing on key areas for improvement
- Enabling staff to own performance improvement by giving them problem-solving skills and a methodology for improvement
- Using visual management to track improvement
- Celebrating success.