Most teams report having a higher service demand than service capacity. Fatigued clients report having too much demand, with backlogs, delays and queues. This creates frustration for customers and staff alike. A common response to such situations is too simply think there is too much work, and to tolerate the difficulties.
We believe there are solutions and there are a number of ways in which we can help:
- Measuring demand – categorising types of demand
- Identifying the root causes of what is creating excess demand by examining processes
- Working with staff to develop new ways of working to manage demand such as one piece flow, pull, reduced batching and so on
- Clearly identifying what the true capacity of any process is to ensure the right size and structure for the team
- Supporting staff to implement changes including new metrics
- Embedding changes and enabling staff to self-audit to sustain improvement.